Current projects of the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
In addition to annually recurring projects such as Cities for Life or the World Day against the Death Penalty, the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty regularly has various projects and campaigns in the works. Currently these were and are among others:
- On the occasion of the World Day Against the Death Penalty on October 10, 2020, members of the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty supplied libraries, world stores, etc. in their places of residence with our Book “Leben im Todestrakt – Life on Death Row”.
- For the 2021 World Day Against the Death Penalty with the theme “Women on Death Row”, the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty wrote to all around 50 women on death row in the USA, asked for contributions and offered to arrange pen-palships. In the medium and long term, a newsletter specifically for women on death row is planned.
- Theater project with the Westfälisches Landestheater Scenic reading “The Death Penalty in Texas” – the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty brought the reading to 5 schools in Berlin in November 2022 – on the occasion of the World Congress.
- The German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty was a partner in the art project “International Youth Art Competition for the Abolition of the Death Penalty” 2020/21 and was looking for interested young people and schools to participate. An exhibition mainly of the works submitted from Germany took place in Wiesbaden in 2021 as part of Cities for Life.
- A performance of the aforementioned Scenic Reading at various schools in the Rhine-Main area with a follow-up discussion is also being considered – for 2023 or later.
- “Creating a video clip” contest on abolition of the death penalty for students in fields such as graphics and design.
- In 2022 the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty will be 25 years old – working title for actions: “Unfortunately we’re still around…” – As a first action we have fulfilled book requests of 60 death row inmates in the USA, more will follow.
- In November 2022, the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty participated in the World Congress against the Death Penalty in Berlin – see video below.
Members of the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty participate in events such as the World Congress Against the Death Penalty, which takes place every three years: